CBD Stone Treatment
CBD stones (Common Bile Duct Stones) is a medical term used to describe the presence of stones in the common bile duct. This condition is also called Choledocholithiasis.
Causes of CBD Stones –
- Primary CBD Stones - are formed within the bile duct and may be associated with stricture or obstruction of bile ducts.
- Secondary CBD Stones – They originate from and are associated with Gallbladder Stones.
- Nutrition – Insufficient nutrition and fluid consumption could lead to the formation of CBD stones. Patients who frequently consume a diet that is low on fiber and is high on fat and calories are more susceptible to this condition.
- Hereditary – CBD stones could exist in a patient due to hereditary reasons.
- Weight issues – Obesity and rapid weight loss could lead to formation of CBD stones.
Symptoms of CBD Stones –
- Jaundice – Jaundice of the eyes or the skin is an important sign of biliary obstruction.
- Clay like colour of the stool – The colour of the stool does suggest the existence of the condition. Clay colour of the stool is a strong indicator of presence of CBD stones.
- Fever and chills – Fever and Chills may persist along with Jaundice.
- Upper or middle abdominal pain – Patients may experience constant pain or cramps in the upper or middle abdominal areas and may suffer attacks of Pancreatitis.
- Loss of Appetite.
- Nausea and Vomiting.
Diagnosis of CBD Stones –
- Abdominal Ultrasound – An abdominal ultrasound shows ultrasonic shadows of the CBD stones.
- Blood test – The Liver Function Blood Test is done to check the levels of Bilirubin and Serum Transaminases.
- MCRP (Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography) – An MRCP can be used to confirm the presence of CBD stones through an MRI scan.
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography) – An ERCP can be used to diagnose presence of CBD stones and confirm if the bile ducts are narrowing in size.
- Endoscopic Ultrasonography - Endoscopic Ultrasound can be used to diagnose CBD stones with high accuracy.
Treatment of CBD Stones –
ERCP, Sphincterotomy and Stone Extraction – This procedure involves removing the CBD stones using ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography) by using an endoscope that is inserted through the mouth into the stomach till the small intestine. Balloon or basket with or without lithotripsy may be used. A removable stent may also be placed in CBD for drainage.
Laparoscopy CBD Exploration (LCBDE) – To perform this procedure, the surgeon makes small incisions in the abdomen and the duct. A drainage procedure such as choledochojejunostomy may be added depending upon the size, number and type of CBD stones.
Open Choledocholithotomy – An Open Choledocholithotomy may be needed in some cases.
Dr. Nikhil Agnihotri, expert Laparoscopic Surgeon provides CBD Stone Treatment in New Delhi, India. Contact us to know more about treatment and cost.